Your step by step guide to starting your self-care journey with little or no resources. Read an easy introduction to self-care here.
Open your notepad, get out your journal, and let’s start building a happier you!
Identify Your Stressors
- What stresses you out the most?
- Examples: work, relationships, home buying
- How do you cause your own stress?
- Examples: negative self talk, too far thinking, & paranoia
List Your Current Routine
- Wake Up Time
- First Thing You Do When You Wake Up
- Include Current Personal Hygiene be honest with yourself!
- Continue With Rest of Your Regular Activities you can do two different lists for days you work and days you don’t
Identify Your Destressors
- What activities do you already do that relieve stress?
- What things do you enjoy doing that you don’t do now?
- Try doing simple things for yourself like washing your face, taking a bath, or indulging in rest.
- Think of things you put off doing (chores/goals) that make you feel better once they are done
Identify Personal Care and Goals
- How can you better take care of your body?
- Examples: eat breakfast, healthier foods, exercise
- How can you improve your home life?
- Examples: organization, regular cleaning, bill management
- What goals do you have for yourself?
- Examples: grow in your career, strengthen relationships, personal projects
Building Your Self Care Routine
- Start with your current routine
- Add times if applicable, but leave room for flexibility
- Go through each task you perform, and want to perform each day
- Add in your destressors!
- Take note of when you want to take breaks
- Example: after breakfast, watch show with significant other
- Remember to keep it manageable and not to put too much pressure on yourself to complete so many tasks
- Add little tasks that add to your goals to overtime
Here’s how my first draft turned out! What’s yours look like?